October 23, 2008

Jelly smeared faces made me want to marry this man...



I was a midwifery student when I met my husband, Bob. So he knew from the start what it looked like to be with me.

At that time I was doing 10-12 births a month, which meant I was called out in the middle of more than a few dates. He was always so sweet and even excited that I was off to bring a new life into the world!

It was a birth call that actually set the stage for the day that Bob stole my heart. My daughter Keri and I were having dinner at Bob's house and I got the "call". I was a little frantic because I needed to move quickly and I had my daughter to take to grandma's before i could even leave for the birth! Bob suggested that I leave her with him and that I could come get her when I was done. Great!! Off I went.

Well the birth lasted all night and I headed to Bob's to pick up my daughter who had spent the night. As I walked up to the front door I noticed that the door was open and through the screen door I could see Keri and Bob sitting next to each other on the couch eating toast and jelly and watching cartoons. They were laughing with big jelly smeared faces. My heart melted and Keri didn't want to leave with me to go home!

Little did I know the amazing bond that Jesus was forming with this man and my daughter! A year later I told my three year old Keri that I was marrying Bob and that Jesus wanted him to be her daddy, Her response? "Well that means he can't be Bob anymore!" She called him "Daddy" from that moment on!